Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Saturday.

Saturday was my kind of day. I started the day with a Nonviolent Resistance Movement and Social Justice Committee with some incredible Nashville leaders. We discussed how to restore civil rights in Nashville, which is a very daunting task. It's empowering to be sitting around a table with amazing individuals who are committed to social justice and willing to share their wisdom with me. Though I do enjoy sleeping in on Saturdays, it's worth waking up at 7 to get to start my weekend this way.
During the day Saturday, I relaxed, napped, cuddled with cats, and worked out. Then, a wonderful Saturday night happened. Now, normally Nathan & I are getting ready for bed around 9, but Saturday we were getting ready to go out. Big for us. I got Nathan tickets to see Ani Difranco at the Cannery Ballroom (where we had our wedding reception), and we've been anticipating this show with bated breath! Ani Difranco is an incredible musician with a strong female voice and a strong opinion about social justice. She's probably one of the most bad ass women ever. Her show was everything I expected & more. I enjoyed it so much. And the Cannery is a lovely venue for a concert, too! It was a great night. We got out of the apartment and did something out of the ordinary for us; we let lose. And, we enjoyed the concert holding hands and sharing a couple kisses, while couples around us did as well. Same sex couples, hippie couples, straight couple, it didn't matter. There was something very freeing about being in an environment like that where we could all be ourselves (aside from the normal indie-pretense that happens at all shows in Nashville). That's the kind of crowd Ani Difranco attracts, which makes me love her even more. Granted, she is very intense, slightly gritty, and obviously different from me, but I have a great deal of respect for her. And, her music is amazing.

No comments: