Friday, June 24, 2011

Life of a Wife

I'll take a quick break from my 30 for 30 updates to post a little bit about life in general.

Most people know my feminist stance on marriage. So hopefully everyone knows what I mean when I say I love being a wife-- I love being married to my best friend.

We've been doing a good job at utilizing our fully-equipped kitchen (thanks to the support of our generous friends and family). Just the other day I discovered my new favorite snack- baked kale chips! It's super easy to make. Basically, you just wash & tear apart the kale leaves (leave out the thick stems/veins), drizzle in olive oil, and bake until crispy! Add salt & pepper to taste (I add cayenne pepper to spice it up), and eat up! It's a delicious & healthy alternative to potato chips. Mmmm.


We've also been making a lot of hummus. Our first batch was roasted red pepper. This one was a spinach artichoke hummus.... Mmm!!! We love our new food processor for this exact reason.

I even got crafty with the hummus and made a pita pizza! Just a piece of pita topped with hummus, tomato, roasted red peppers, and a touch of parmesan cheese. I just popped it in the oven for a couple minutes to melt the cheese, and it was done! I ate it about as quickly as it took to make!

One of my favorite of our recent home projects has been this wall of old family photos. It is important to us to have a strong sense of family and tradition within our own new family, so we decided to honor those before us with a whole wall! We used a pretty assortment of frames for the photos and hung them somewhat randomly on the wall. My heart warms every time I look at the photo of my grandpop as a young boy, or my daddy as a kid sitting on his grandpa's lap.  

We're almost finished fixing up our apartment, and I couldn't be more happy with it. I LOVE our little home! Being a wife really is all it's cracked up to be, but only because I got to marry Nathan. I can't imagine life without him or with anyone else. I am so thankful every day when I wake up next to him.

1 comment:

stephanie said...

That kale is so dang good. And I want to make a hummus pita! It looks so good!