Friday, November 18, 2011

Mushroom Bourguignon with Friends.


 
  Me & Camille at Belmont.

Me & Caroline in London. 
One of the highlights of this week was having two of our dear friends, Caroline & Camille, over for dinner. We cooked, ate, drank, talked, & played games together. Nathan & I haven't been able to see either of them for a while because of school & such, so having a chance to spend an entire evening with them was a dream come true. Caroline & I lived together, and she was one of my bridesmaids. Camille is Caroline's  younger sister, with whom I had several classes & enjoyed a lot of my college experience. They are pretty much a sister power-team, and I adore them. We had a lot of fun catching up with one another and laughing with each other. They are both very positive, supportive friends, and I love having that kind of energy in my life. I wish we had dinner with them every week, seriously. 

For dinner, Nathan & I made a pretty tasty meal! We were very satisfied with how it came out. We decided to make a vegetarian Mushroom Bourguignon.... a somewhat intimidating task, but the results were surprisingly perfect! I started making the dish, then quickly realized I needed to also be making biscuits & preparing asparagus, all simultaneously, in order for the meal to be done on time. Without hesitation, Nathan put down his homework and came to work in the kitchen, tackling the bourguignon like nobody's business. I give him full credit for the success of that dish. It was superb. I love having a partner in the kitchen. =)

The stars of the show.

The wine: for cooking & also drinking. It had a nice smokey flavor. 

Nathan getting the bourguignon under way.

My favorite veggie: asparagus.

Heavenly. 

The spread: Mushroom Bourguignon, Cheddar Biscuits, Roasted Asparagus, & a tasty Salad.

The finished product.

Quick & easy biscuits. 

The amazing salad our friends brought!: Spinach, lettuce, orange pepper, cranberries, almond, goat cheese. YUM.

The bourguignon came from my favorite food blog: Smitten Kitchen.
The asparagus is my go-to side dish: toss asparagus in olive oil, salt, & pepper (all to taste) and pop in the oven at 350-375 degrees F, for as long as you like (the longer the cooking, the crispier the asparagus spears will get!)
The cheddar biscuits were a pretty typical (shortening-less) biscuit recipe with the addition of about 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
The salad was the genius work of Caroline & Camille. And it was fabulous.

Thank goodness it's Friday, right?

No comments: