Wednesday, August 17, 2011

To Die For

I have a recent obsession with Murder Mysteries. It may come as a surprise to those who know me & my personality... I don't like death, I don't like murder, I don't believe in the death penalty, I don't like scary stories; I like peace, I like happiness and joviality, I like carefree fun, I like euphemistic love stories. Yet, I LOVE murder mysteries. I think it's probably because I have an interest in logic and riddles, and murder mysteries are basically all just one long riddle.

So, my next few blog posts are going to be highlighting my favorite murder mysteries. If you are at all interested in murder mysteries, you should totally check these out. Note: there is a big difference between murder mysteries and cop dramas. The mysteries I like always end with the bad guy getting caught and life returning to relative peace and happiness.

Inspector Lewis
  • Inspector Lewis just might be my favorite. The Lewis TV series, featured on Masterpiece Mystery, is a spinoff from the original Inspector Morse. I never got into the Morse series, but I'm obsessed with Lewis. Detective Inspector Robbie Lewis is a witty, brilliant inspector in Oxford, though he is a bit out of place in such a studious village. He is extremely empathetic and constantly searches for the good. His wife was tragically killed in a hit-and-run at the beginning of the series, and this loss seems to give him a sense of understanding with the grieving. Lewis's right-hand-man, Detective Sergeant James Hathaway, is a brainy and educated Cambridge man. He had been training for the priesthood before switching paths to join the police force. Hathaway often solves the intellectual riddles that the murderers and murderesses of Oxford leave for the detectives. The murders are always shrouded in some sort of pretense and intellect, be it Classical philosophy or modern art. Together, these two seem to be able to solve any murder, but not without getting their personal lives caught in the mix. 
  • Basically, I'm obsessed with Robbie Lewis & James Hathaway.  
James Hathaway & Robbie Lewis in Oxford.
What is going on? I'm confused.
 Next up: Agatha Christie's Poirot!

No comments: