Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What do they call me?

Well, a lot has been going on lately. This weekend I felt like a big girl because I worked all weekend. I love my coworkers and bosses; I'm really excited about having a job & learning better how to budget & prepare myself to be a full-fledged adult.

As April draws nearer, dance rehearsals become more exhausting and more exciting. I absolutely love the pieces I am in for this show, and I feel very blessed to have the opportunity to be challenged artistically in this way. Our dance company director, Debbie, is such an inspirational teacher and choreographer. Whenever we learn new pieces or choreography, she explains to us the message that our movement is conveying. Debbie teaches me to dance with purpose; to tell the stories of people whose voices need to be heard. For Debbie (and as I am learning, for myself), dance is not simply performance for performance's sake; dance is moving, necessary, compelling, and passionate; it is not about me, but the narrative. My favorite piece, "4 Women" is a modern piece telling the story of female oppression, suffering, and liberation. The song alone is chilling, and brings me near tears (not that that is a challenging feat, by any means). The choreography allows me to use movement to express the vast range of experiences and emotions associated with women's liberation. I am learning how to use my artistic tool, my body, to demonstrate the moments of anguish and hopelessness, as well as the moments of strength and courage. I am inspired to be more like the women in this dance piece; I am learning more than just choreography.

In other news, I am planning to start writing my prospectus this weekend. I'm excited, but also really nervous. I will probably post a few different excerpts on here eventually. Although, seeing as how I have informed no one of this blog's existence yet, I suppose it will be more for my own purposes.

Each day I learn something new: about myself, about the world, about love, about life. It's often a challenge, and I seem to fold under the pressure sometimes. But thank God for the people that love me and refuse to give up on me.

No comments: