Sunday, December 26, 2010

Sad and Thankful

This Christmas, all I'm thinking about is how much I miss John Sessoms, my beloved Grandpop. This is our first Christmas without him, and it's just not the same. It was so strange hearing someone give the Christmas prayer (even though my Mom did an absolutely beautiful job) other than Grandpop. It was also strange not having my sweet cousins Johnny, Angie, and Natalie with us, since my uncle Mark remarried. I must say, I genuinely miss our old Christmases, when we'd all gather on the 26th at Grandma & Grandpop's house in Murfreesboro to exchange gifts & get our typical gift of socks from the grandparents. I miss it so much, and I'm so heartbroken knowing that I'll never get to have that kind of Christmas again. But I was so thankful to have the family over to Lenoir City to spend time with Grandma (where she now lives). Though she often gets confused (she has alzheimers), she seemed happy to see the family.

Grandpop's sister Eska with my cousins Nat & Angie (day of his funeral)

It's been a hard year for my mom, but I could not be more proud to be her daughter. She is a strong, caring, compassionate, selfless woman. I hope I have that much kindness in my genes.

I am so grateful that Nathan got to meet my Grandpop before he passed away. Nathan came with me to see them before Grandpop got sick & while he was in hospice care, and I KNOW that Grandpop would approve of me marrying such a wonderful man. I only wish he was going to be around to see it... though I know he's going to be somewhere smiling down on us.

I am so thankful for my family, and somewhat sad that this is my last year to spend the "Stone" family christmas altogether with my sweet family. But I know I have a wonderful life ahead of me as a Dryden (and a Stone at heart... let's face it- I'll NEVER stop being a Stone! after all, I've got the "Finley ass").

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

No comments: