Monday, September 5, 2011

Knoxville Traditions

This weekend Nathan & I visited my parents in Knoxville. It was really a lot of fun. I got to introduce Nathan to some elements of my childhood that he still hadn't experienced! Friday night we went to Cinco De Mayo, my parents' favorite Mexican restaurant in town. It was delicious... Dad & I split a 1/2 pitcher of margaritas. They have awesome margs.

Saturday night we went to a UT football game! I grew up on UT football, going to games every weekend, tailgating, watching away games at friends' houses. It really is an East TN tradition.... I guess there's just not much else to do around there.

So, we tailgated in the 100 degree weather and had a blast.

IMG_0919
Our set-up. Matching tablecloth & all.
IMG_0922
Nathan & I had to borrow orange from my parents. He wore Dad's XL t-shirt, which was funny.
IMG_0925
The gang!
IMG_0927
Me, dad, & mom on our way down from tailgating to the game.
And yesterday Nathan finally got to go to a service at my hometown church, Two Rivers. It's grown so much since I was last there, I couldn't even believe it. It was nice having Nathan there to meet old friends from church.

Last night, we were planning on going to Boomsday, Knoxville's largest annual festival celebrating Labor Day. The fireworks are seriously amazing, and it's a pretty big Knoxville tradition. Unfortunately, it started raining really badly yesterday afternoon, so we came back home after walking around the festival for a while.

IMG_0928
You can't really tell from this picture, but there were SO many people.
IMG_0930
Henley Street Bridge, where they usually do the fireworks show.

No comments: